July 28, 2021 Comment off
Discuss the aspects of your chosen vulnerable population.
Miami regional University
Introduction • There are various categories and examples of
vulnerable populations worldwide. We can define as a vulnerable populations who are more likely to experience disparities in medical care due to financial circumstances or social factors such as age, race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, spirituality, disability, or socioeconomic or insurance status.
• Mentally ill populations include the most common vulnerable populations worldwide. The mentally ill, despite their nature, require healthcare services.
• This vulnerable population has various needs and requirements for their survival. The vulnerable population is always under threats form natural calamities and other related aspects.
Aspects of the population
The mentally ill population exist in various types and
forms, which are characterized by their
behavior, thoughts, emotions and other aspects.
The mental disorders usually encountered include
bipolar disorders, depression, psychoses,
dementia, autism and other disorders.
There are various ways and strategies to be employed in preventing mental disorders.
Despite their nature, the vulnerable population
deserves healthcare services in the same manner as other
Why are they considered vulnerable • The mentally ill population are
considered vulnerable because of the various risks related to their existence. Mentally ill populations also require extra care compared to normal human beings. Therefore, they are considered as vulnerable populations.
• They are also considered as vulnerable populations because they require the assistance of other population to acquire some popular and mandatory needs, or other aspects.
Communicable diseases in the population
The mentally disabled population are often
associated with some health conditions such as bowel and
bladder problems, which affect them due to their
Pressure sores and ulcers are other communicable diseases that may affect the mentally
Other major communicable diseases include measles,
salmonella, HIV, and other common communicable
Tuberculosis, and pneumonia, and malaria are other conditions that highly
affect the mentally ill persons
In a low percentage, STIs are other diseases that are recorded to affect the
mentally ill population.
Reason for the communicable diseases
• The main reasons for the communicable diseases include the contact obtained when the population converges.Besides, other conditions such as STIs are spread when the population involve in other situations such as sex with other populations.
• Assaults from other populations may be also another cause of the existence of the communicable diseases in the population. These conditions such as STIs and HIV are among the diseases that occur due to such reasons.
• Moreover, unavoidable circumstance such as pandemics are the cause of communicable diseases for the mentally ill population
Barriers to effective healthcare
Barriers to effective healthcare in the mentally ill
population include lack of support in various aspects such as financial support.
The lack or knowledge and the intended decency is another barrier to the
achievement of healthcare services that faces the
mentally ill population.
Lack of consideration form the government and the
public also acts as a barrier that hinders the provision
and acquisition of healthcare services spy the vulnerable
Social isolation is another tough barrier that hinders
the provision and the acquisition of healthcare service by the vulnerable
Strategies to improve healthcare
• There are various IT strategies and implementations to improve healthcare. They include provision of high-quality portable healthcare gadgets that can be used to provide health service in the streets.
• Use of IT in the Enhancement of communication concerning cases of healthcare needs for the vulnerable population
• Improvising various ways of tracking and knowing the health needs of the vulnerable population. This helps to improve healthcare for the vulnerable population.
• Use of IT to provide gadgets that can be used to monitor the process and the healthcare statues for the vulnerable population.
Evidence based practices to improve healthcare
• The provision of patient centered care will help to identify and attend to the respective needs and requirements that the vulnerable population need at all times.
• The research for the best clinical implementations and executions that will help to achieve better healthcare service for the population.
• The implementation of better learning and researches in various areas and regions to collect the best knowledge about healthcare needs fro the vulnerable population
• Identifying the best healthcare services that will suit the mentally disabled population
How the issues realized relate to public health nursing
• The issues realized posses a great threat and challenge to public health nursing, where extra effort is required to attain and maintain the required level of healthcare provision
• Neglect ion realized in the health service provision fro the vulnerable population relate to some other cases in the public health nursing, where patients in various facilities are given unworthy services
• The need for insurance and capitation for the mentally disabled population also relates to the public health nursing, where the general population should be advised about the advantages and the need for health insurances at all times.
Reference • Mental disorders. (2021). Retrieved 11 July 2021, from
• Disability and Health Related Conditions | CDC. (2021). Retrieved 11 July 2021, from https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/disabilityandhealth/relatedconditions.ht ml
• The American Journal of Public Health (AJPH) from the American Public Health Association (APHA) publications. (2021). Retrieved 11 July 2021, from https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/full/10.2105/AJPH.2009.164814
• Healthcare Disparities & Barriers to Healthcare. (2021). Retrieved 11 July 2021, from https://med.stanford.edu/ruralhealth/health- pros/factsheets/disparities-barriers.html