February 25, 2022 Comment off
develop and refine skills in communication and to examine successful aging through the lived experiences of an elder.
Holistic Care of Older Adults
Overview: Life Review Interview
This assignment provides the opportunity to develop one-to-one interactions with an elder who resides in the community. The focus is to develop and refine skills in communication and to examine successful aging through the lived experiences of an elder.
Completing this assignment will enable you to conduct a Life Review with an older adult, understand the significance of the individual’s life story, identify possible legacies and their importance to the older adult, and describe the degree of ego integrity reached by the older adult. You will also reflect upon the process of conducting a Life Review. Only your initial reflection statements about the interview process must be submitted during Week 3.
Contact the older adult the day before the interview to remind him/her about it and to answer any questions about the process that may have arisen. Be sure to review the guidelines and guiding questions before the interview session. Be prompt and professional.
All information of a sensitive nature that is shared with you must be kept confidential unless your have the older adult’s permission to share it with others. The Interview Consent Form offers assurance and informs the older adult that the information is kept within the bounds of the course faculty and, where appropriate, with peers in the class. In all written work and discussions, the older adult must be identified by initials only to protect privacy.
This document includes guidelines to help you prepare for and conduct the interview, but you are not required to submit answers to the interview questions. Only your initial reflection statements in Part C must be submitted during Week 3.
· Apply gerontologic nursing principles and standards in nursing practice across the continuum of elder care.
· Use current evidence and theories in care of older adults.
· Conduct a personal interview with an older adult for the purpose of documenting Life Review.
Use this rubric to guide your work on the assignment, “Life Review Interview.”
Levels of Achievement
Criteria Novice Competent Proficient
Week 3 Assignment 2 Reflection upon interview. Write 3 reflective statements
0 to 1 reflective statement or statements are not reflective of student’s thoughts/feelings
2 reflective statements are submitted
3 statements are submitted that reflect the student’s thoughts and feelings (not the interview subject’s)
APA Format is used. Correct spelling, puntuation and grammar are used
more than 2 errors
A. Preparing for the interview:
1. Be able to explain the purpose and length of the visits (The interview should not exceed two hours. If you are unable to complete the interview in two hours, then schedule another meeting).
2. If you have not done so, ask the elder to sign the Interview Consent Form. (It is helpful to take two copies so that you can leave a copy with the elder.)
3. Reflect upon how you can incorporate therapeutic communication skills in your interview.
4. Review the Interview Guide. The elder does have the right to refuse to answer any question – please honor that right.